Friday, January 29, 2021

When did I become a Christian?

I always thought that I had become a Christian when I was 12 years old. The Caticism class for the Luthern church I attended was coming to an end. The pastor asked if we were standing at the door of heaven and God asked, "Why should I let you in? What would your answer be?". Most said they weren't sure, but one girl said, "Because Christ died on the cross so we could ask for forgiveness of our sins." It clicked in my brain that it was the correct answer. Forty some years later upon reflecting on my childhood life with a friend, I began telling him about praying for family members and pets at the age of eight. It was at that time that I began to understand that I had a relationship with God much earlier than I thought. So I guess my answer would be I don't know when I became a Christian. It appears at an early age. I know that in my early 30s I prayed the prayer of repentance and asked Jesus into my life and was baptised by immersion. It was all pretty much a conformation of what I had already knew to be true. It was more of a public confession of what had been in my heart for many years.

No comments: