Friday, January 29, 2021

What chores did I do when growing up?

The first chores I remember doing was filling up two 55 gallon drums with water that were setting on a skid. The water was to water the animals in the barn. My Dad would come home from work and take the water up to the barn by pulling the skid with the tractor. I didn't have many chores until later when we moved to town. Then we had a large yard that needed mowing and so yard work became my chores. Inside the house the only chores I recall were the weekly burning of papers and drying the dishes to put away. Later the year before College, I had the duties of milking morning and evening 13 cows and feeding hogs. After I left for college, the herd was quickly sold. Allowances started at the age of 9 years old and consisted of 35 cents a week. I managed to save enough to by a bee bee gun for $15 out that allowance. I still have that gun.  I worked my way up to a whopping $10 dollars a week during the cow milking year. It was enough to keep gas in my car. Back then gas was .30 a gallon unless there was a gas war then it would get down to .20 a gallon. You just got to love the 1960s. 

No comments: